The small and quiet town of Iguig is home to a beautiful stone church that’s more than 200 years old. Resting on a hill overlooking the Rio Grande de Cagayan, the Church of San Antonio de Galicia, was built in the Spanish era, around 1765 and 1787. From the front, Iguig’s church looks conventional, unsurprising, just like any other old church of bricks and stones—until you go to the back and see its buttresses. This makes the church an adorable architecture.
The vast churchyard also features life-sized statues portraying the 14 Stations of the Cross. This is known as Calvary Hills, a favorite pilgrimage site of the Catholics during the Holy Week.
At the back of the church, there is a brick stairway that leads to the river. It was used by Spanish officials who traveled from town to town by river, and by merchants who needed to transport goods to and from galleons. Also found in this area are other historic sites: a well dating back to the Spanish colonization of the Philippines and the ruins of a Dominican abbey.
* Iguig is a 4th class municipality in the province of Cagayan, Philippines. It is located about 16 kilometers from Tuguegarao City.